Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Poetry: Tupelo Press - letter from editor


WOW! I submitted my manuscript to Tupelo Press a few weeks ago and got this very encouraging letter from the editor. I am very excited. Fuel!!

Saffron and Blue is a compelling first manuscript. I was especially taken with the vivid language and seriousness of purpose tinged with human fallbilities demonstrated in poems like Return, Cadence, His Passing (brilliant last line), and The Beach on Sunday. But really, there are many other fine poems, and it is clear you're a gifted at this thing you love. Thanks so much for sending it to our open reading period. Your poems gave me great pleasure.
Unfortunately, I'm not able to take your manuscript at this point, but I urge you to resubmit the manuscript to our Dorset Prize and/or the next first book competition. If you remind me at that time, your manuscript will automatically pass beyond the first round of readings.
In other words, please let me see the manuscript again.
Sincerely yours,
Jeffrey Levine